GPG with up2date is driving me nuts

Fritz Whittington f.whittington at att.net
Wed Dec 24 19:39:42 UTC 2003

On or about 2003-12-24 12:05, Benjamin J. Weiss whipped out a trusty #2
pencil and scribbled:

>On Mon, 22 Dec 2003, William Hooper wrote:
>

>>Alik Widge  said:
>>

>>>For the record, I've got the same thing driving me nuts, and I do have the
>>>fedora-release-1 RPM installed. Most of my packages are installing OK, but
>>>a few (mozilla, f'rinstance) still are reported with bad signatures by
>>>up2date.
>>>

>>GPG errors could also indicate truncated downloads.  Your example of
>>Mozilla is a large package.  Try using a mirror.
>>

>I'm surprised that a tool as mature as up2date doesn't know how to handle
>an interrupted download more cleanly than that.

I'm no longer surprised (because I've had it happen to me so often), but
I am apalled that it behaves so badly in this regard.  I got to the
point of starting up2date just to get a list of the rpms it wanted, then
using WS-FTP Pro to go collect them all from a mirror site, placing them
in the up2date spool file.   Then you can let up2date continue and it
will find them already downloaded and install them.

--
Fritz Whittington
TI Alum - http://www.tialumni.org