root is denied the ability to change permissions?

Samuel Flory sflory at rackable.com
Wed Dec 24 22:44:14 UTC 2003

Dennis Calhoun wrote:
> On Wed, 24 Dec 2003 23:19:03 +0100, you wrote:
>

>>Am Mi, den 24.12.2003 schrieb Dennis Calhoun um 23:09:
>>
>>>Yup, it seems very odd to me and I've found no way around it, but when
>>>I try to use *any* means of changing the permissions on certain
>>>things, root is denied the ability to do so. I want to make a slave
>>>drive, that I've properly mounted, open for writing to it under my
>>>regular username instead of having to log out completely and log back
>>>in as root. So far I cannot find a way for root to be able to change
>>>this.
>>>
>>>Any idea why this is and what I can do about it?
>>>If more info is needed, please be simple and clear about exactly what
>>>you want me to get from where and I will gladly supply it.
>

>>I bet the drive/partition you are speaking about has a fat32/ntfs
>>filesystem on it. On such systems you can't chmod/chown.
>

> Hi Alexander
>
> Yes, it is fat32 (or vfat as linux wants it called). Thing is, as the
> owner, root, I can read, write and execute... as any other user I
> cannot write to it.
>
> It really stinks to have to completely log out and then log in as root
> to be able to write to that drive. The same situation exits on another
> windows partition too. Is there ANY way to enable my regular user to
> write to these?

   Use one of the fat mount options for mount.
man mount:
Mount options for fat
        (Note:  fat  is  not  a  separate  filesystem, but a common part
of the
        msdos, umsdos and vfat filesystems.)

        blocksize=512 / blocksize=1024 / blocksize=2048
               Set blocksize (default 512).

        uid=value and gid=value
               Set the owner and group of all files. (Default: the uid
and  gid
               of the current process.)

        umask=value
               Set  the  umask  (the  bitmask  of  the permissions that
are not
               present). The default is the umask of the current
process.   The
               value is given in octal.

        dmask=value
               Set  the  umask applied to directories only.  The default
is the
               umask of the current process.  The  value  is  given  in
  octal.
               Present since 2.5.43.

        fmask=value
               Set the umask applied to regular files only.  The default
is the
               umask of the current process.  The  value  is  given  in
  octal.
               Present since 2.5.43.

There is no such thing as obsolete hardware.
Merely hardware that other people don't want.
(The Second Rule of Hardware Acquisition)
Sam Flory  <sflory at rackable.com>