Radeon 9700 Overheating???

Matt Brei mbrei at carolina.rr.com
Sat Dec 27 00:43:53 UTC 2003

Greetings,

Anyone having what seems to be a heat problem with a 9700 or any other
newer radeon that uses the fglrx driver from ATI for that matter.  I
noticed that some of the desktop was starting to act funny.

(The best I can describe it is when you hold a Nextel cell phone near a
CRT monitor while in the middle of a call.  The screen basically goes
nuts.)

Right away I shut down and opened up the case to feel the video card and
sure enough it was running quite hot.  I didn't feel like messing with
it so I just left the machine off so it could cool down over night.  At
first when I power up it runs fine.  In the time that its taken me to
get this far into this message it has started again.  I've tried another
monitor but get the same results.  I think the GPU has cooked itself,
but no worries, the card is under warranty for another few months.

Fedora Core 1
Radeon 9700 AGP
Pentium 4 2.53
fglrx glc22 4.3.0-3.2.8 i586
Kernel 2.4.22-1.2129.nptl

Let me know if anyone else has or has had similar problems.

Thanks,
Matt