Help customising Fedora for my grandfather.

Jeff Lasman blists at nobaloney.net
Sat Dec 27 16:52:34 UTC 2003

On Saturday 27 December 2003 08:29 am, Jon Atkinson wrote:

> Actually, he's using a traditional ball mouse which came with the
> computer. Which actually raises an interesting question. He has
> trouble with keeping his hands steady while they are in the air, so
> maybe a trackball or touchpad would be more appropriate (because his
> hands will be in constant contact, and he can lay his hand on it to
> take some of the pressure off his muscles)? Has anyone had any
> experience of this?

I echo Jon Atkinson's response on trackballs and touchpads; to me
nothing is as easy to use and as elegant as a mouse.

A few years ago I had a dislocated shoulder, which severely limited my
motion for several months, and I was still happier with a mouse than a
trackball, which I would have thought would have been better.

That's when I bought an "ergonomic keyboard" though, and I find them
much better.  The one I use (Mouse Systems) has a nice rest for the
bottom of my hand, and I always keep my hands on the rest while I type,
with my fingers hovering just above the keys (I'm a high-speed touch
typist).  Much easier than hovering the entire hand, as I get older.

As far as the mouse is concerned, when I'm not actually typing, my right
hand is always resting on the mouse; I find that very comfortable.

Fwiw, I use a Microsoft Optical wheel mouse, and I like the way it fits
my hand, the way RHL supports it (I suppose Fedora does as well), using
the wheel both to scroll and as a third button, and I like the way it
"just works".  While I haven't like Microsoft software in a long time,
and I truly hate their ergonomic keyboards (because they've moved the
"6" key), I really believe they have the mouse right.

Jeff
--
Jeff Lasman, nobaloney.net, P. O. Box 52672, Riverside, CA  92517 US
Professional Internet Services & Support / Consulting / Colocation