DVD+RW burns 3GB but only reads back as 13MB

Peter Kiem zordah at zordah.net
Sun Dec 28 04:38:59 UTC 2003

Hi,

Does anyone have any experience with DVD+RW burning in Fedora?  I am
trying to do it from command line (rather than use something like k3b)
as I am trying to work this into my backup scripts.

I used to use a CD-RW drive for doing backups but just replaced the
drive with a DVD+RW drive to cut down on the number of discs I have to
write.

No matter what I did I couldn't get dvdrecord working as a replacement
for cdrecord.  Errors ranged from "cannot burn > 100 mins" to "Wrong
media".

After a bit of reading I found the growisofs command which seemed to
work fine.  This is the command I gave to burn a 3GB tar file to the
DVD+RW

growisofs -dvd-compat -Z /dev/cdrom holding.tar

Now growisofs SAID it wrote the full 3GB and looking at the disc it
certainly has used most of the area as you can see where it has written
the data.

But when I try to read the disc in either of 2 DVD drives I have on the
system I can only see a 13MB file!

Any ideas cause this has got me stumped :(

--
Regards,
       My current spamtrap address is est1203 at zordah.net