How did I lose Raid personality 3?

sean darcy seandarcy at hotmail.com
Sun Dec 28 19:03:58 UTC 2003

>From dmesg:

md: md driver 0.90.0 MAX_MD_DEVS=256, MD_SB_DISKS=27
md: Autodetecting RAID arrays.
[events: 00000189]
[events: 00000129]
md: autorun ...
md: considering hdh5 ...
md:  adding hdh5 ...
md:  adding hdg5 ...
md: created md0
md: bind<hdg5,1>
md: bind<hdh5,2>
md: running: <hdh5><hdg5>
md: hdh5's event counter: 00000129
md: hdg5's event counter: 00000189
md: superblock update time inconsistency -- using the most recent one
md: freshest: hdg5
md: kicking non-fresh hdh5 from array!
md: unbind<hdh5,1>
md: export_rdev(hdh5)
md: RAID level 1 does not need chunksize! Continuing anyway.
kmod: failed to exec /sbin/modprobe -s -k md-personality-3, errno = 2
md: personality 3 is not loaded!
md :do_md_run() returned -22
md: md0 stopped.
md: unbind<hdg5,0>
md: export_rdev(hdg5)
md: ... autorun DONE.

I'm running 2.4.22-1.2135.nptl.  Does the kmod error message mean there
should be a md-personality-3 module? There isn't.

Do I need one?  I assume this is why it couldn't start the raid array.

Here's raidtab:

raiddev  /dev/md0
   raid-level     1
   nr-raid-disks  2