802.11b wireless card

Michael stuff at dustsmoke.com
Mon Dec 29 00:44:25 UTC 2003

>> my Linksys WPC11 802.11b card works just fine with the orinoco
>> drivers.
>> it worked just fine out of the box.
>> alex.
>
> Is it a version 3 or 4 card?  I've heard that version 3 works, whereas
> version 4 doesn't.  Only version 4 is available in stores currently.
>
> Thanks,
> -jj

Yeah, for some reason, Linksys likes to name 2 entirely different cards
the same thing... The ver 2.x and 3 cards are a prism2 chipset with pretty
good driver support, where as the ver 4 has a Realtek RTL8180L chipset
that works with these drivers;

http://www.realtek.com.tw/downloads/downloads1-3.aspx?lineid=2002111&famid=2002111&series=2002121&Software=True#2002121Unix%20(Linux)

Needless to say, linksys doesn't document major changes such as these so
you wouldn't know unless you did some homework before hand. (like you did)
There is rumor that you can get a ver 4 and complain to linksys who will
send you a ver 3. So maybe you can try that if you like the hassle. I have
both, the major difference I notice is the version 4 seems to have far
better range than my version 3. And the version 3 has far better drivers
than the 4.

--
Michael