Sony 510a dvd +-rw

Mark Carter cartermd at ornl.gov
Tue Dec 30 18:00:22 UTC 2003

Don't know if this helps, but I use a Sony 510a under Redhat 8.0.  I was
able to use growisofs with mondo directly to the /dev/hcx, but could not
get cdrecord to work for cd burning with it until I went to
http://fy.chalmers.se/~appro/linux/DVD+RW/
and followed instructions there:

Passing "hdX=ide-scsi" argument to kernel via lilo did not work, so, I
did the following:
      * appending following lines to your /etc/modules.conf:
                options ide-cd ignore=hdX
                pre-install sg modprobe ide-scsi
                pre-install sr_mod modprobe ide-scsi
                pre-install ide-scsi modprobe ide-cd

I am now able to use both cdrecord and growisofs... --scanbus finds
the burner.  It is a very nice setup with mondo.  Might work in
fedora too, but I don't know.

Mark Carter