K3b: ide-scsi

John Wendel jwendel at fnmoc.navy.mil
Wed Dec 31 17:47:43 UTC 2003

On Wednesday 31 December 2003 06:45 am, Mihai Maties wrote:

> For quite a while cdrdao had some options that cdrecord didn't so
> it was used extensively for cd writing. However cdrdao has 2 major
> inconveniences: it hasn't been updated for more than a year (so it
> still needs scsi emulation) and generates a very high cpu load. Now
> cdrecord has [maybe] all the features that were missing so it is
> recommended to use it instead of cdrdao.
>

> Mihai

Excellent explanation, just a couple of additional points ...

If you rebuild cdrdao from source, you can make it use the latest
libraries from your cdrecord installation. This lets cdrdao work
without scsi emulation. Sorry I can't remember the exact configure
options, but the install doc explains everything clearly.

Scsi emulation is going away in 2.6, so everyone using ids-scsi needs
to get ready.

Does anyone know how to set K3B so it doesn't use cdrdao at all?

Regards,

John