Fedora and the System Administrator

Buck RHList at towncorp.net
Wed Oct 1 16:51:32 UTC 2003

Red Hat does not have to charge their prices to stay solvent.  Their
only business need is to increase productivity and profit.  It is now a
publicly traded company and has a responsibility to the stock holders
(whether or not I like it).  As for losing business, there are many
times in which losing customers is more profitable than keeping them.  I
started my home based business servicing home computers on-site at a low
rate.  After a while, I was constantly driving, working or talking on
the phone.  I eventually tripled my rates, dropped most of my home
support and retained 3 commercial customers.  Even though I lost my one
biggest account, I only needed to work about 1 or two days a week and my
"keep" pay was the same as when I was busting my @$$ all week long.
Likewise, Red Hat is probably catering to their "million-dollar"
accounts that require less overhead to service and dropping their
customers that might be making a profit, but costs them more to service
and support.  Sure, they may lose 25% of their "business" but what
remains will be much more profitable leaving them with more time and
resources to service their contracts, improve their product and work
with Fedora.

Well, that's my $.02 (or less) worth.

Really, it's just business.

Buck