Fedora and the System Administrator -- there are a lot of variables here ...

Bryan J. Smith b.j.smith at ieee.org
Thu Oct 2 15:44:28 UTC 2003

Quoting David Holden <dh at iucr.org>:
> When fedora is release will I beable to say to my boss, yes we can
> install fedora version "x" and be able to rely on redhat providing
> security updates for the next 2-3 years for that version, or will
> have have to say to my boss if you want a stable OS for 2-3year you
> will have to cough up $345 for system/per year.

First off, the last time I checked, RHEL WS is $179/year (or are you talking
about ES?).

> As far as I know for version of Microsoft OS's your guaranteed >3 years
> use of that OS and security updates are *free*.
> (Yes I know microsoft and security are words that really don't mix :))

Secondly, Microsoft has the volume to sustain security updates on a $99-199
product.  Red Hat does not.

*BUT* if you keep your Fedora Core current to at least 6 months, possibly a
year (if I'm reading the details correctly), you _do_ have such updates.

If you need 1-7 years, then you need to purchase a product that will support
the vendor who does it, given the volume they sell at.

--
Bryan J. Smith, E.I.  mailto:b.j.smith at ieee.org  http://thebs.org
There is no greater ignorance than the popular American environ-