Fedora and the System Administrator

Erik Williamson erik at cpsc.ucalgary.ca
Thu Oct 2 19:12:26 UTC 2003

Wow, this has grown to be quite the discussion.

Here's something that I naively forgot about:  When purchasing RHEL, you
are getting a *subscription* for the year.  This must be renewed every
year.  I inquired about what would happen if one was to (after one year)
simply get the SRPMS that are released as updates, compile ad
redistribute to existing machines... but that's a no-no.

Once again, you cannot blame RedHat for this; this is sound business
practice.  I was just coming from the land of "once you buy it, it's
yours" thinking.  MS essentially does the same thing, I'll bet Sun does too.

But, having to tell the higher-ups that it's not a one-time cost will be
a fun one; something for all to keep in mind...

e.

e r i k   w i l l i a m s o n                     erik at cpsc.ucalgary.ca
  system admin . department of computer science . university of calgary