RedHat SRPMS

Bill Anderson bill at noreboots.com
Fri Oct 3 22:57:08 UTC 2003

On Fri, 2003-10-03 at 16:31, Stephen Smoogen wrote:
> RTFL.

I have, and I can see that you must do ONE of those three options. That
is what "one of" and "or" means. It is not "AND".

I've also done a step better and read the FAQ:
"""
What does this "written offer valid for any third party" mean? Does that
mean everyone in the world can get the source to any GPL'ed program no
matter what?
        "Valid for any third party" means that anyone who has the offer
        is entitled to take you up on it.

        If you commercially distribute binaries not accompanied with
        source code, the GPL says you must provide a written offer to
        distribute the source code later. When users non-commercially
        redistribute the binaries they received from you, they must pass
        along a copy of this written offer. This means that people who
        did not get the binaries directly from you can still receive
        copies of the source code, along with the written offer.

        The reason we require the offer to be valid for any third party
        is so that people who receive the binaries indirectly in that
        way can order the source code from you.
        """

Which stands in opposition to the claim. As I stated, only those who
have the binaries, those whom the work has been distrrbuted to, have a
right to the source. Period.

Further, it is my understanding that RGEL comes with the source on CD,
thus eliminating the whole application of the clause anyway.  I'm sure
if I am wrong on that, someone will correct me.

> > > Unless you ship only the binaries, in which case they must accompany a
> > > written offer to provide the sources to any third party.

Still waiting for someone to show where RH must put the SRPMs available
on the web for *anyone* and *everyone*. Fortunately, I'm not holding my
breath.

--
Bill Anderson
RHCE #807302597505773