Fedora and the System Administrator -- are my assumptions onSuSE incorrect?

Buck RHList at towncorp.net
Sat Oct 4 14:43:33 UTC 2003

Thanks, Ed,

Yes, we are the same age, but I am brand new to Linux.  I first started
to get into Linux about a year ago.  I had a spare computer and wanted
to learn it and use it.  I read the reviews, checked out the local book
stores, read the websites of what must have been a dozen or more brands
and then looked at the list serves available.  Probably every version
has both Yahoo and MSN groups support but when I tried them I became
overwhelmed with spam, so I had to rule that out as an option. I
monitored three list servs lists and checked out the release frequency
and availability of maintenance support.  It became a toss up between
Red Hat and SuSE at that time.  Red Hat won because of the availability
of resources including the books at the book stores, these list serve
lists and the availability of ISOs on the internet.

I started learning RH and installing it, but I picked up a job that took
more time and effort so I dropped it temporarily.  I just came back a
few weeks ago and, like you, I lost that which made Red Hat valuable to
me. Like you, I am at square 1 but with no Linux experience behind me.

As for the bleeding edge, I have no problems with starting with the
newest release, and I would probably keep one computer bleeding every
time a new version was released, but I also need some installs to be
stable for at least one year.  Remember that I am an MS supporter.  I
have been putting up with worm, Trojan, virus and spyware attacks for
years.  Most of my work seems to be protecting the network or cleaning
up after them.  I keep hearing that Linux has less of these problems and
I may be afraid of shadows.  I don't know.  I do like the up2date
provided by the Red Hat Network and would love to see that for Fedora as
well.  Who knows, it might be enough to get it stable enough to operate
and I may not need all the maintenance updates, but then I may.

SuSE offers a new version every spring and fall so I can install a
version that has been released long enough to get most of the bugs out
and then rely on the future maintenance releases to protect the computer
from vulnerabilities.  If I ever get it installed, I may find that it
fits my needs.  (Installing via FTP for a total newbie is not easy.)

Buck