RedHat SRPMS

Bill Anderson bill at noreboots.com
Sun Oct 5 17:36:39 UTC 2003

On Fri, 2003-10-03 at 21:07, Alexandre Oliva wrote:
> On Oct  3, 2003, Bill Anderson <bill at noreboots.com> wrote:
>
> > Cite please.
>
> On Oct  3, 2003, Stephen Smoogen <smoogen at lanl.gov> wrote:
>
> >     b) Accompany it with a written offer, valid for at least three
> >     years, to give any third party, for a charge no more than your
>              ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
>
> On Oct  3, 2003, Bill Anderson <bill at noreboots.com> wrote:
>
> > I have, and I can see that you must do ONE of those three options. That
> > is what "one of" and "or" means. It is not "AND".
>
> > On Fri, 2003-10-03 at 14:24, Alexandre Oliva wrote:
>
> >> Unless you ship only the binaries, in which case they must accompany a
>    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
> >> written offer to provide the sources to any third party.
>
> If you ship only the binaries, it's not (a), so it has to be (b) or
> (c), and (c) requires (b) to have happened before.

"c" does not apply to the original distributor.
To wit:
"""
b) Accompany it with a written offer, valid for at least three years, to
give any third party, for a charge no more than your cost of physically
performing source distribution, a complete machine-readable copy of the
corresponding source code, to be distributed under the terms of Sections
1 and 2 above on a medium customarily used for software interchange; or,
c) Accompany it with the information you received as to the offer to
distribute corresponding source code. (This alternative is allowed only
for noncommercial distribution and only if you received the program in
object code or executable form with such an offer, in accord with
Subsection b above.)
"""

Note the parenthetical, and the "you received" part. That means the
person who received binaries. Since RH compiles RHEL from source, "c"
applies to recipients of RHEL, not RHEL.

And as three FAQ states, the "any third party" is a third party who has
received the binaries, not just Joe on the Street.

The GPL is so clear the FAQ is as long as or longer than the GPL. ;)

--
Bill Anderson
RHCE #807302597505773
bill at noreboots.com