Are there any scripts to generate an updated Kickstart image?

Hans Deragon hans at deragon.biz
Wed Oct 8 16:32:55 UTC 2003

Charles Curley wrote:
> On Fri, Oct 03, 2003 at 03:35:33PM -0400, Hans Deragon wrote:
>
>>Greetings.
>>

>>  When running kickstart using NFS, one has to create a directory where all
>>  the RPMs can be found.  getfullcomps.py and genhdlist are used to generate
>>the metadata a few data files required for anaconda to install the rpms.
>>
>>  What I am looking for are scripts that replaces old RPMs in such a
>>  directory with more recent ones and regenerate the data files.  The idea is
>>that after downloading the updates everynight, the kickstart image
>>directory is also updated so that no RPMs needs to be upgraded after an
>>install (well, until the next openssh security advisory comes up. :) )
>>
>>  Writting the scripts is easy, but I just want to know if anything already
>>exist before reinventing the wheel.
>

> To update a collection of RPMs, try AutoUpdate.
>
>   	AutoUpdate is a perl(1) script that can download new rpms from
> 	given remote sites and then pass them to rpm(8) to upgrade
> 	your system.  There are five independent modes, download, get,
> 	update/install, merge, and purge.  The mode will be determined
> 	by the invocation name and or command line options.
>
> I've used it for RH 8.0 and found it quite useful. I don't know that
> it will update any installation/configuration files.

Thanks but I already use apt-get (which you should try btw.  Yum and apt-get are
more advance than AutoUpdate).

This is not what I am looking for.  I do not want the original RPMs to be
installed and then upgraded.  I want the latest official RPMs to be installed
upstart, thus avoiding solutions like AutoUpdate, apt-get and Yum.  This is to
reduce the time required to install a PC.

Best regards,
Hans Deragon
--
Consultant en informatique/Software Consultant
Deragon Informatique inc.         Open source: