fc 0.95 on toshiba satellite 5205-s5151, apci=on

Warren Hedley whedley at sdsc.edu
Fri Oct 17 06:38:22 UTC 2003

I installed fc 0.94 on a reasonably new toshiba satellite a couple of weeks ago
and have been up2dating every now and then since. I was initially frustrated
because neither sound, the integrated wireless, or the laptop-specific functions
worked. I finally found the comments about apci being off by default and enabled
that. Amazing! All of my problems instantly were solved (the wireless
configuration tool was excellent). However a few problems remain and some new
ones have sprung up.

One of the problems I was seeing before turning apci on was, just before cutting
to the graphic part of the boot process, I see some errors about not being able
to load the floppy driver. This isn't much of a surprise in itself because the
machine doesn't have a floppy drive (although it does seem to have 3 different
kinds of smart media slots, none of which I have media for). The standard insmod
failure message appears for about half a second and then disappears as X starts.
The relevant part of /var/log/messages is below. Any ideas on how to get rid of
this?

kernel: SCSI subsystem driver Revision: 1.00
kernel: Initializing USB Mass Storage driver...
kernel: usb.c: registered new driver usb-storage
kernel: scsi0 : SCSI emulation for USB Mass Storage devices
kernel:   Vendor: JAE       Model: CF/MS/SM R/W  CF  Rev: 1.22
kernel:   Type:   Direct-Access                      ANSI SCSI revision: 02
kernel: USB Mass Storage support registered.
kernel: inserting floppy driver for 2.4.22-1.2093.nptl
kernel: floppy0: Unable to grab IRQ6 for the floppy driver

Once apci was enabled, the ohci driver suddenly started making itself quite
noticable. During the boot process (just as X starts) and also when I try to log
into KDE (during the session-loading phase) the disk and CPU thrash, and errors
like the following get appended to /var/log/messages. (Interestingly, logging
into gnome seems to work fine.) Any ideas?

ohci1394_0: Unrecoverable error!
ohci1394_0: Async Req Tx Context died: ctrl[ffffffff] cmdptr[ffffffff]
ohci1394_0: Async Rsp Tx Context died: ctrl[ffffffff] cmdptr[ffffffff]
ohci1394_0: Async Req Rcv Context died: ctrl[ffffffff] cmdptr[ffffffff]
ohci1394_0: Async Rsp Rcv Context died: ctrl[ffffffff] cmdptr[ffffffff]
ohci1394_0: Iso Xmit 0 Context died: ctrl[ffffffff] cmdptr[ffffffff]
... <snip /> ...
ohci1394_0: Iso Xmit 31 Context died: ctrl[ffffffff] cmdptr[ffffffff]
ohci1394_0: Iso Recv 0 Context died: ctrl[ffffffff] cmdptr[ffffffff] match[ffffffff]
  ... <snip /> ...
ohci1394_0: Iso Recv 31 Context died: ctrl[ffffffff] cmdptr[ffffffff]
match[ffffffff]
ohci1394_0: Runaway loop while stopping context: ...
ohci1394_0: Runaway loop while stopping context: ...
ohci1394_0: Runaway loop while stopping context: reqTxComplete...
ohci1394_0: Runaway loop while stopping context: respTxComplete...
ohci1394_0: Runaway loop while stopping context: RQPkt...
ohci1394_0: Runaway loop while stopping context: RSPkt...
ohci1394_0: Error in reception of SelfID packets [0xffffffff/0x00000000] (count: 1)
ohci1394_0: Set PHY Reg timeout [0xffffffff/0x00004000/100]
ohci1394_0: Unhandled interrupt(s) 0xfe7cff0c

The following line was generated in /etc/modules.conf if that's any help.

alias ieee1394-controller ohci1394

Since apci was enabled, a kernel error occurs sometime just after the network
drivers are uninstalled during shutdown. The message scrolls by so fast, I can't
actually see what causes it. This isn't logged. If someone can tell me how I can
  capture the error message, I'll do that and post it.

Sound starting working fine once apci was enabled. However some minor errors are
reported to /var/log/messages at both startup and shutdown. Here are the startup
messages.

kernel: Intel 810 + AC97 Audio, version 0.24, 17:56:16 Oct 14 2003
kernel: PCI: Enabling device 00:1f.5 (0000 -> 0001)
kernel: i810: Intel ICH3 found at IO 0x1400 and 0x1000, MEM 0x0000 and 0x0000,
IRQ 10
kernel: i810_audio: Audio Controller supports 6 channels.
kernel: i810_audio: Defaulting to base 2 channel mode.
kernel: i810_audio: Resetting connection 0
kernel: ac97_codec: AC97 Audio codec, id: YMH3 (Unknown)
kernel: i810_audio: only 48Khz playback available.
kernel: i810_audio: AC'97 codec 0 supports AMAP, total channels = 2
modprobe: modprobe: Can't locate module sound-service-0-0
modprobe: modprobe: Can't locate module sound-slot-1
modprobe: modprobe: Can't locate module sound-service-1-0
modprobe: modprobe: Can't locate module sound-slot-1
modprobe: modprobe: Can't locate module sound-service-1-0

These are almost certainly due to these lines in /etc/modules.conf

alias sound-slot-0 i810_audio
post-install sound-slot-0 /bin/aumix-minimal -f /etc/.aumixrc -L >/dev/null 2>&1
|| :
pre-remove sound-slot-0 /bin/aumix-minimal -f /etc/.aumixrc -S >/dev/null 2>&1 || :

/etc/.aumixrc does appear to have been written correctly the last time I shut
down. Should I be worrying about these messages at all? How should I get rid of
them.

That's all for now. Thanks in advance for any help.