CNET News Article

Bill Rugolsky Jr. brugolsky at telemetry-investments.com
Wed Oct 22 19:35:50 UTC 2003

On Wed, Oct 22, 2003 at 03:05:12PM -0400, Bill Nottingham wrote:
> For Red Hat Enterprise Linux 3, the non-open-source stuff is on
> the 'Extras' CD/image, and some of the things in the additional
> products (JDK/JRE, etc.). There's also the usual trademark restrictions
> on anaconda-images and redhat-logos, of course.

I'd like to offer public accolades to Red Hat for being explicit with
trademark and license issues, and cleanly delineating the parts that are
not open source and freely redistributable.  Red Hat is not required to do this,
and historically some other vendors (SCO/Caldera OpenLinux, and others)
have made it a point to entwine the pieces so as to frustrate attempts to
reuse their work.

Given the pressures and responsibilties on a publicly-traded company,
this is all the more admirable.

   Bill Rugolsky