CNET News Article

Jeff Lasman blists at nobaloney.net
Wed Oct 22 20:12:50 UTC 2003

On Wednesday 22 October 2003 11:29, William Hooper wrote:

> Then you need either a) a team of coders to backport security fixes
> to the versions of the software you want to use or b) buy RHEL and
> rent Red Hat's team of coders to backport security fixes.

No, what I need is an operating system from a vendor who understands
that server life needs to be more than a year.

> Have you bothered to talk to RH sales at all?  IIRC there was someone
> that posted about a quote for their .edu that ended up being
> ~$50/seat for 100 seats.  That is less than the subscription to RHN.

Yes.  I talked to RH sales.  An .edu gets a completely different price
scale.

And servers don't get "per seat" licenses.

> Redhat's EOL for their releases have been posted for a while:
> http://www.redhat.com/apps/support/errata/

That was my point.  You can make it yours, though, if you wish <smile>.

> As others have pointed out
> there is a "Fedora-Legacy" movement out to do some back porting of
> fixes and such after RH's EOL.  If you go with option a) above then
> you have the resources to contribute to this if you wish.

I just joined that list, and I'm looking forward to seeing something
besides a webpage.

I think it's time for me to bow out of this thread.  I believe I've made
it clear I love RHL and I love linux, and I'm frustrated by RH's
direction.  I answered the original post and I don't control this
thread, but I'm going to bow out.

Jeff
--
Jeff Lasman, nobaloney.net, P. O. Box 52672, Riverside, CA  92517 US
Professional Internet Services & Support / Consulting / Colocation