missing RPM in desktop install -- xsri-2.1.0-6

Mike A. Harris mharris at redhat.com
Fri Oct 24 13:01:42 UTC 2003

On Thu, 23 Oct 2003, Alan Peery wrote:

>>I suspect the media is bad.  Please run mediacheck and test your
>>media first.  I don't see why this problem would occur only under
>>VMware personally.  Even though we don't support VMware
>>officially, problems like this still shouldn't happen.
>
>How could media that passes an md5sum be bad?

I never said media that passes an md5sum is bad.  Please point
out where I said that.

>I've not burned physical media, and I'm "mounting" the cdrom in
>a virtual drive...

Makes no difference really.  If the MD5sums of the CDROM or ISO
image don't match what we supply, then it is corrupt, either bad
media, or broken download, corrupt hard disk or something.  If
your images/CDs/whatever *DO* match our official images, then
that isn't the problem - and that is what I was asking you for.

>Checking again, all ISO images pass /usr/lib/anaconda-runtime/checkisomd5.
>
>The install has failed several times at exactly the same point:
>1) Redhat 8.x running VMWAre 4.x, twice.  640Mb on main machine, 192 on
>virtual, almost no load on system
>2) Windows XP,  running VMWare 3.x, 512Mb on laptop, 192 on visual
>machine, 20% cpu on average

Well we do hope that the distribution installs inside VMware, we
do not ever officially test installation into VMware, and it's of
course as you said not supported.  The type of problem you're
reporting doesn't sound to me that it would be caused by VMware
itself as I stated before, but you never know.  Hard to say.

Can you reproduce it with a real OS install on real hardware not
using VMware?