SATA question

Eric Beyer lnxfrk at samdog.net
Sat Oct 25 05:57:20 UTC 2003

----- Original Message -----
From: "Jeremy Katz" <katzj at redhat.com>
Sent: Tuesday, October 21, 2003 9:03 PM
Subject: Re: SATA question

> That should work, AFAIK.  I have a similar box sitting on my desk here
> that I do installs on daily.  It's set so that the SATA is in enhanced
> mode and the installer then properly loads the libata and ata_piix
> modules to drive it.

Jeremy,

I found that when I disconnect (removed power/parallel cable) to the drive
on the Primary Master (40GB Seagate UDMA 100) that I can successfully
setup/boot into Fedora in enhanced mode.

However upon connecting the PATA drive to the system it hangs each time just
after it says: "hda: attached ide-disk driver". I even placed my old Promise
Ultra 100 card back into the system and connected the PATA drive to it just
to see if it was related to the onboard IDE connecter, needless to say the
same issue occurred and it hung after the attached ide-disk driver message.
Apparently there must be an issue when using both PATA & SATA in enhanced
mode at this time...

Is this an issue I should bug? It's not only related to Fedora as I tried a
Slackware 9.1 setup disk and experience the same issue.

Current configuration:
ASUS P4P800
Intel 2.6GHz CPU (w/hyper-threading)
512 RAM
Pri Master: ST340824A ATA Disk Drive
Pri Slave: None
Sec Master: Plextor W8432 CDRW
Sec Slave: Pioneer DVD-115
4th Master (aka 1st SATA) ST3120026AS
BIOS IDE Configuration: Enhanced Mode : P.A.T.A & S.A.T.A
BIOS Hard Disk First Drive ST3120026AS  Second ST340824A

Thanks,
Eric