The more I read the confuser I get.

Xose Vazquez Perez xose at wanadoo.es
Fri Oct 31 00:02:10 UTC 2003

David Jericho wrote:

> The sad thing I have to admit, is as a sane, professional, and rational
> admin who has my, my users, and my employers interests at heart, 64-bit
> Sun hardware and Solaris looks to be an attractive proposition. At least
  ^^^^^^^^^^^^

Solaris over x86 may be interesting, but SPARC servers/support aren't cheaper.

> it's not a bottomless money pit for services I won't use.

you have several alternatives :-)

- to change to a free distribution (Slackware, Debian, Gentoo, Mandrake ...)
- to change to a paidware distribution (SuSE, TurboLinux, SCO, Conectiva ...)
- to buy the cheapest Red Hat EL based product:
   x Professional Workstation - $100
   x WS                       - $180
   x ES                       - $350
- to stay with RHL 7.2, 7.3 or 9 and:
   x to get updates from Fedora Legacy
   x to build yourself updates from RHEL erratas
   x to build yourself updates from NET sources
   x to paid someone to do dirty job
   x to do nothing and cry
- to use Fedora Project distributions
- to build yourself RHEL from sources

--
HTML mails are going to trash automagically