Re: secure IMAP applet

A quick nmap reveals that it is not first attempting to use secure imap.

Nils Philippsen wrote:
On Tue, 2003-09-16 at 08:05, Justin Georgeson wrote:

One of the biggest reasons I like the combined nature of the mozilla suite is I get notified of new mail with just a browser window open. To my knowledge, the "inbox monitor" applet that comes with gnome does not support secure imap though (imap over ssl on port 993). Am I wrong? Can anyone recommend a sercure IMAP enabled GNOME panel applet? I don't want to have to leave thunderbird running unminimized in order to get new mail notifications, and don't want to send my password over the internet unencrypted.

Hmm:

nils wombat:~> ldd /usr/libexec/mailcheck-applet|grep ssl
libssl.so.4 => /usr/lib/libssl.so.4 (0x40b22000)
nils wombat:~>

I guess that it tries to use SSL and falls back to non-SSL if not
available. Can anyone confirm or deny this?

Nils

-- ; Justin Georgeson ; http://www.lopht.net ; mailto:jgeorgeson lopht net ; "Free the mallocs, delete the news"