rpm lockups - argh

Barry K. Nathan barryn at pobox.com
Tue Sep 23 06:21:01 UTC 2003

On Mon, Sep 22, 2003 at 10:20:36PM -0400, Sean Middleditch wrote:
> Hmm, Rawhide has rpm 4.2.1-0.30, and the bug persists - I'm assuming I
> probably don't want to downgrade, since the 4.1.1 test is just
> backported stuff from 4.2, yes?

Yes, it's backported from 4.2-1 (which is newer than the 4.2-0.69 that
shipped with Red Hat 9, but older than the 4.2.1 stuff in rawhide).

There's a newer 4.2.1 (I think 4.2.1-3 or so) in the current Red Hat
Enterprise Linux update channel right now. Nonetheless, the one in
rawhide has also been problem-free for me.

However, I use neither apt nor redhat-install-packages. (I'll probably
try redhat-install-packages again after the 2nd Fedora Core beta is
released, but not until then.)

I would second the suggestion to mention this on rpm-list. I can't think
of anything better to try. (Unless you want to try completely avoiding
redhat-install-packages and/or apt, and see if the hangs still happen.
Even though you see lockups in rpm itself, one of those might be messing
up rpm's locking, and you might not be seeing the effect until well
after it happens.)

-Barry K. Nathan <barryn at pobox.com>