Update Fedora to a new Major-Version while running

Owen Taylor otaylor at redhat.com
Wed Sep 24 16:03:09 UTC 2003

On Wed, 2003-09-24 at 11:50, Thorsten Leemhuis wrote:
> Hi *,
>
> will it be "official supported" to update from one Fedora-Core to the
> next major Fedora-Core Version while the machine is doing it's normal
> (server) work? Like a "rpm -F *" on a RHL8 machine in a directory with a
> rpms of RHL9. (Does this really work? I never tried, but was told it would.)

I think the answer to this is that if people are interested in it,
and are willing to do the necessary work of:

 - Testing
 - Fixing problems they find

Than it can be a feature of Fedora; it's not something that, as far as
I know, Red Hat is going to spend engineering resources on, but that
doesn't constrain the possible features of Fedora.

(rpm -Fvh * doens't really quite work, but yum, apt-rpm, etc. can make
a closer approximation to what the installer does on an upgrade.)

Regards,
					Owen