What price do you want?

Buck RHList at towncorp.net
Thu Sep 25 23:50:48 UTC 2003

This has got to be a most difficult question to answer.

Unfortunately, I can't answer your question as asked.  I don't know!

The real dilemma is that the provider, whether Red Hat or another Linux
operation, needs to make a profit or they will go away (I assume).
Linux was created with the idea of offering an operating system at NO
COST required, an open license to allow a user to have and use as many
copies as desired without violating the copyright and to be freely
distributed.  I believe his goal is to have offered a product available
that anyone with a computer can afford.

I don't have a fixed price I would be willing to pay.  I'd certainly
find it easier to dish out $60 than $100 and likewise $100 is easier to
pay than $1200.  I would be willing to pay the $60 for up2date once I
have committed myself to Red Hat and once I found an installation that
pays me to install and support it, I would include the cost of at least
minimum support... The $60 in the least, or up to $150 for pre-pay one
or two support events for the year.  I would certainly want the option
of additional support if needed.

What bothers me is that the GNU license on the product says that If I
have the product and wish to distribute it, I can - without recourse!
But Red Hat now requires the buyers of their product to sign a contract
that takes that very purpose out of the license.  If I were to work for
a company that has that product, that contract would prevent me from
getting a copy to learn from or from installing it on another computer
for a backup at the office without paying for it again.

If Red Hat's contract is deemed legal, then they have just effectively
found a way around the GNU license.  Now they can take what is required
to be public by license and taken it for themselves and restricted the
distribution.

I believe that's what the license was trying to prevent.

Just my opinion, for whatever its worth.

Buck