Is the Print Support and OpenOffice Yes/No really honored

Matheesha m.weerasinghe at ntlworld.com
Sun Sep 28 20:35:58 UTC 2003

Doh! I should have tried "rpm -e" before mailing the list and I now know
why. I installed the admin tools and system tools which installed
redhat-printer-config. I had to remove the following packages in this
order to get rid of cups.

desktop-printing
redhat-config-printer-gui
redhat-config-printer
cups

As for the cups-libs it seems to be linked to a few apps I kinda like to
hang on to so it will have to remain.

rpm -e cups-libs
error: Failed dependencies:
        libcups.so.2 is needed by (installed) samba-common-3.0.0-5rc1
        libcups.so.2 is needed by (installed) ghostscript-7.07-10
        libcups.so.2 is needed by (installed) libgnomeprint22-2.3.1-2
        libcups.so.2 is needed by (installed)
gnome-vfs2-extras-0.99.10-3.1
        libcups.so.2 is needed by (installed) gnome-vfs-extras-0.2.0-7
        libcups.so.2 is needed by (installed)
printman-0.0.1-1.20021202.14
        libcupsimage.so.2 is needed by (installed) ghostscript-7.07-10
[root at pc2-hem12-3-cust67 root]#

I'd like to hang on to the ghostscript and samba client utilities. I was
kinda surprised that cups-libs will be linked to samba-common and
ghostscript. Correct me if I am wrong but it may be possible to "build
and compile " ghostscript and samba with printing support turned off? If
so that would mean been able to remove cups-libs and still have
ghostscript and samba on the system. Well at least samba.

Cheers

M@