Fedora and the System Administrator

David Chait davidc at bonair.stanford.edu
Tue Sep 30 23:50:28 UTC 2003

> I dont expect that this will be any different for any of the Linux
> companies and volunteer orgs (Debian) in the coming years. Everytime
> there is a new Debian, the security volunteers say they will only
> maintain the old release for 6 months and there is great wailing and
> nashing of teeth about how shitty Debian is.

The difference of course is, Debian offers a stable release life of over 2
years prior. That is hardly as aggravating as making a major migration
potentially twice a year. I think you will find very few orgs willing to
deploy Fedora under those conditions, and even fewer able to justify paying
for RHEL being that it is quite expensive compared to other options.