Radeon 7500 and AOC 17Klr monitor *almost* works...

Curtis Rempel curtis at telus.net
Wed Apr 14 21:23:50 UTC 2004

I posted the following message on Jan 27 but only got one response
suggesting to download a commercial X server (which I would rather
avoid.)   There must be an obvious solution to this problem, some
parameter or config file that just needs a tweak perhaps.  I also tried
Mandrake 9.2 but it wouldn't even start X at all.  Sorry, I don't have
the log from startx with Mandrake 9.2 handy, however, I could redo the
install if necessary to obtain some more clues.   I hope that somebody
might be able to suggest something else I can adjust given the
description below since Fedora is my preference.  I have also done a
boot from the Knoppix live CD and while the horizontal/vertical
adjustment is not optimal with X, at least the screen is not washed out.

Here again is the problem:

I've got a dual boot system with a Radeon 7500 and AOC 17Klr monitor
which works fine under XP.  When I dual boot to Fedora (or even during
the Fedora install process), the screen is very washed out, almost as if
the brightness was too high and the contrast too low.  Booting back to
Windows without touching the monitor controls gives a great picture
however.

I installed Fedora using an IBM 2237 monitor and the picture was great
during install and subsequent boot.  Fedora does not know about the AOC
7Klr so I found the refresh rate settings on the AOC web site and
plugged them into MonitorsDB so I could select the monitor using
redhat-config-xfree86 - didn't change a thing, still all washed out.

Given that the IBM monitor works fine, I doubt that the Radeon 7500 is
the culprit.  That leaves the AOC 7Klr - however it works fine under
Windows.

Has anybody seen this sort of behavior?  It's almost barely usable if I
play with the monitor brightness/contrast (but still quite annoying).
Of course, when I reboot to XP, I have to fiddle with the controls again
to get the picture looking ok again.

Any suggestions are welcome.  I've done a ton of Linux installs but this
is the first time I've seen this one.

Thanks,

Curtis