grub.conf help (w/ XP)

Keven Ring keven at mitre.org
Thu Apr 1 13:43:01 UTC 2004

Michael A. Peters wrote:

>Windows was installed as the master drive.
>Due to issues with Fedora C2T1 installer - I wanted to easily detach the
>windows drive whenever installing a linux distro. To facilitate that - I
>made the XP drive be the slave - and use a boot loader on a floppy
>called "gag" to boot windows, as it can switch the drive letters so the
>XP thinks it is still on C:\ and doesn't have a heart attack.
>
>That works - but I'd rather not have to insert a floppy every time I
>want to boot windows, I'd rather do it from grub.
>
>I tried adding the following to grub - which I thought would work
>(switching drive letters) based upon the documentation - but it doesn't
>seem to:
>
>title Windows XP
>        map (hd0)(hd1)
>        map (hd1)(hd0)
>        rootnoverify (hd0,0)
>        chainloader +1
>
>Anyone know why?
>Shout the rootnoverify line refer to (hd1,0) even though I already
>have used map to switch them?

Here's my pertinent grub.conf section:
title Win2K
        map (hd1) (hd0)
        map (hd0) (hd1)
        rootnoverify (hd1,0)
        makeactive
        chainloader +1

I don't know if it makes a difference that I mapped hd1 to hd0 first or
not, but certainly the makeactive is needed... :)
Also, looks like the rootnoverify needs to refer to the original drive.

--
Keven Ring               | The called it Paraside, I don't know why
The MITRE Corporation    | Call somplace Paradise - Kiss it Goodbye