Q) Using cups from Windows-2000 machine

d l popgojp at yahoo.co.jp
Thu Apr 1 15:46:24 UTC 2004

--- Matthew Saltzman <mjs at ces.clemson.edu> からのメッセ
ージ:
> On Thu, 1 Apr 2004, Timothy Murphy wrote:
>
> > Does one have to install Samba in order to use a
> printer
> > attached to a Linux box from a Windows-2000
> machine on a LAN?
>
> If you want to access the printer through normal
> Windows printer sharing,
> I think the answer is yes.

For win2000 and later windows they supports Internet
Printing Protocol which cups are native on. You can run
thorugh samba but that just add an extra layer of overhead
IMO.

> > IIRC, I used to print from the W2k machine under
> RH-7 or 8
> > without using Samba, but this doesn't seem
> possible under FC-1,
> > unless I have misunderstood something.
> > I can access the web through the Linux box from
> the W2k machine.

In cups, create a new print queue for your printer, and
wrap it under a printer class. You can then add printer in
windows with the path:
ipp://linux_box:631/printer_class_name

Just to make sure you enable raw printing in cups
mime.types
and things will fail......