up2date

John Walsh dear_grommet at hotmail.com
Thu Apr 1 19:05:30 UTC 2004

Original post:

>On Wed, 2004-03-31 at 17:19, John Walsh wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > I just installed Fedora core 1 (yarrow).
> >
> > The up2date warning icon is flashing away (red (!) in gnome)...
> >
> > but when I try to run up2date, I just get blocked by error messages:

I had 2 responses:

>From: Alexander Dalloz <alexander.dalloz at uni-bielefeld.de>
>To: For users of Fedora Core releases <fedora-list at redhat.com>
>Subject: Re: up2date
>Date: Thu, 01 Apr 2004 00:44:24 +0200
>
>Did you search the list archiv before posting? That is a FAQ.
>
>Do not register RHN on Fedora. If done though repair it in
>/etc/sysconfig/rhn/sources
>
># up2date default
>
>Be sure to set up a mirror
>
>http://fedoranews.org/contributors/alexander_dalloz/mirror/
>
>Alexander

>From: Jeremy Hogan <jhogan at redhat.com>
>To: For users of Fedora Core releases <fedora-list at redhat.com>
>Subject: Re: up2date
>Date: Wed, 31 Mar 2004 20:10:34 -0500
>
>There's no RHN channel for Fedora. You can check out:
>
>http://fedoranews.org/tchung/up2date/
>
>And
>
>http://www.fedoranews.org/tchung/howto/2003-12-02-rhn-applet.shtml
>
>To fix up2date and the rhn-applet.

Thanks both - you got me onto the correct track, and between you I got it
working.

Jeremy - your references were very useful, and got me to fix the 'sources'
file, and update to rhn-applet-2.1.4-3.i386.rpm, but it still was not
working.

Alexander - your "# up2date default" then got it working, based on yum
rather
than a RHN service/channel I assume.

To 'tchung' - your articles:

TUTORIAL: up2date
HOWTO: How to fix rhn-applet

are good, but are missing a couple of things - if someone has FC1 (like me):

1) the line: up2date default
should be commented out of the 'sources' file.

2) that got the update system working - but the first time you run it, I
would
suggest ONLY updating the 'up2date' rpm's. That then fixed the 'sources'
file anyway.

After that, it will happily do the updating...

BUT - I still have a couple of questions (of course):

1) some of the RPM's are coming through with

"The package **** does not have a valid GPG signature"

I'm choosing to continue (because choosing stop cancels the whole process),
but does that mean the package is still downloaded/installed ? Or is it
skipped
and the rest of the up2date process left to continue ?

2) Is the file 'systemid' still needed ? This is left over from my RHN
service, and
I assume its no longer needed. Unlike the file 'up2date', which still
contains the
configuration for up2date.

NB. people still need to run up2date-config, but not rhn_register - can you
add
that to your articles too.

Thanks,
John.