Creating own apt repo from cream de la cream?

Panu Matilainen pmatilai at welho.com
Thu Apr 1 20:44:51 UTC 2004

On Thu, 2004-04-01 at 21:06, Erik Karu wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I presume following is impossible with apt:
>
> list A, B, and C in sources.list, but use A as
> "primary" repo, meaning that if a package is found
> from A, don't install/update it from B or C even it's
> newer there. If a package is not present in A, then
> and only then use B or C.

The simplest way, which probably does just what you want, is just to put
the repositories in sources.list into your preferred order - in this
case:

Just reordering the sources.list doesn't always change the order
correctly due to ages old bug in apt cache generation, to be sure it
gets the order right you'll want to do
"rm -f /var/cache/apt/*.bin; apt-get update" after reordering
sources.list.

Much more powerful (and more complex as well) priorizing is possible by
using "pinning" - see "man apt_preferences" for the gory details. Oh and
if it seems obscure and difficult to understand, don't mind, it has that
effect on most people :) Feel free to ask if you need help with that...

	- Panu -