Q) Using cups from Windows-2000 machine

Timothy Murphy tim at birdsnest.maths.tcd.ie
Fri Apr 2 01:48:33 UTC 2004

Matthew Saltzman wrote:

> In Win2k, you can define a printer as using LPD protocol.  (Configuration
> starts by selecting "locally attached printer" in the Wizard, then "create
> new port" then "custom port".  I don't recall the exact steps, though.)

I'm trying to follow these instructions.
The Wizard is running now.
I am given the choice of "Local printer" or "Network printer".
I take it you are advising me to choose "Local printer".
(This seems illogical, since I am told it means
the printer is directly attached to my computer, which it is not.)

When I do this, I have the option: "Create a new port".
I take it I should choose this.
I have to choose between Local Port and Standard TCP/IP Port.
I take the second option.
(I tried the first, but not surprisingly it did not work,
as I was never asked where the printer was.)

Now I am asked the "Printer Name or IP Address",
and I give the address of my desktop, 192.168.1.1.
(I am not able to add ":631" as the port.)
The "Port Name" is then given as IP_192.168.1.1, which I accept.

When I click "Next" I am told that "The device could not be identified".
I choose Device Type: Custom.

I am then offered Raw or LPR, and choose the latter.

When I click Next, I am asked what model printer I am using,
and choose the correct one, HP LaserJet 5L,
agreeing to use the existing driver.

Now when I opt to print a test page,
there is a little activity on the ethernet,
but nothing is printed.

I note that I have never been asked, or had an opportunity,
to give the port number 631.

The troubleshooter does not give me any help.
It verifies that I can ping 192.168.1.1, but that is all.
It advises me to re-install the printer driver,
but I very much doubt if that is necessary, and do not follow this advice.

So I delete this printer, and start again,
clicking on "Add Printer".

This time I choose "Network printer",
and choose "Connect to a printer on the Internet or on your intranet",
giving the URL ipp://192.168.1.1:631
which is declared invalid.
When I choose http://192.168.1.1:631
I am told "Could not connect to printer. Access is denied."

> On the Linux side, run redhat-config-printer, and select "sharing" from
> the left-most pulldown menu.  Then check "enable LPD protocol".  Save
> everything and restart cupsd.

I am not offered an option "Enable LPD protocol",
either on the current screen or when I opt to edit the printer entry.
Where exactly do you see this option?

--
Timothy Murphy
tel: +353-86-2336090, +353-1-2842366