network newbie

Alexander Dalloz alexander.dalloz at uni-bielefeld.de
Sat Apr 3 23:28:01 UTC 2004

Am So, den 04.04.2004 schrieb Henry Widd um 01:12:

> Hi, I am have just got broadband installed and have it working on my Linux box. Now I wanrt to set up a network with the other computers in my house - 2 pc's and a mac.
> I have a cable modem connected via ethernet card. My plan is to use a second ethernet card in my pc to connect it to a hub, and then connect the other pcs to this hub.
> Since most stuff in docs that i have found is quite specific and has a lot of jargon, I'm struggling to find sccesible info on how to configure this network. If you have any advice or know of a suitable tutorial please let me know.
> Thanks,
> Henry

I would recommend you plug the Fedora machine to the cable modem and to
the second NIC in the Fedora machine the hub. This enables you to
control the security for internet connections configuring one central
machine. Once you know how netfilter works and how you control it using
iptables your can set up a firewall with stateful inspection. See

http://fedoranews.org/ghenry/gateway

for setting up the Fedora machine as the central gateway behind the
cable modem and in front of the other LAN hosts.

Alexander

Fedora GNU/Linux Core 1 (Yarrow) on Athlon CPU kernel 2.4.22-1.2174.nptl
Sirendipity 01:24:43 up 15 days, 9:06, load average: 0.64, 0.59, 0.57
                   [ Γνωθι σ'αυτον - gnothi seauton ]