network newbie

jludwig wralphie at comcast.net
Sun Apr 4 00:01:21 UTC 2004

Setting up the network. I'll assume that you have never done this for
simplicity.
1) Insert the new network card and start the machine. At this point
kudzu should find the card and ask if you want to set up networking and
such on the card. Answer yes and give the card an address of
192.168.0.254 and a netmask of 255.255.255.0.
2) Since you are new to Linux, use the standard firewall and make eth1 a
trusted device.
3) Log into Gnome or KDE as yourself and under System Settings (for KDE)
network and check your settings.
4) Under System Settings set your firewall up with eth0 as a trusted
device.
5) In a terminal (AKA DOS Screen) su - to root and cd to /etc
6) run command gedit sysctl.conf and change the 0 to 1 on the line
    >> net.ipv4.ip_forward = 1 << save the file.
7) To test the setup run the command echo "1"
/proc/sys/net/ipv4/ip_forward.
8) See if you have connectivity on the other machines (Don't forget to
set their addresses to 192.168.0.### and set the DNS server information
in them.
9) There may need to be some more steps and I may well have messed
something so be patient.

--
jludwig <wralphie at comcast.net>