exec-shield question

Brian L. Walter amatin at comcast.net
Sun Apr 4 20:05:48 UTC 2004

(hope this is not duplicated...i've had some email problems today and might have lost the original post in the translation )
Greetings,

I'm playing around with wine, and get

err:virtual:map_image Standard load address for a Win32 program
(0x00400000) not available - security-patched kernel ?

In a wine mailing list, someone suggested "cat "0"
/proc/sys/kernel/exec-shield to totally disable it, and alternatively,
"setarch i586 wine <wine args>

However, these seem to no longer work, and digging around, I found you
can disable exec-shield via a boot time option.  Just how does one go
about adding options to the kernel/boot?  If it matters, I'm using grub.

TIA
Brian