SRPMS-iso

Pedro Fernandes Macedo webmaster at margo.bijoux.nom.br
Mon Apr 5 02:32:26 UTC 2004

Kc2LTO - Andrew Ragone wrote:

> What exactly are the SRPMS downloads as compared to i386…I know what
> RPMs are [how could I not] but what are these other files?

The SRPMS contain the source files needed to recompile the programs
available in the i386 isos. You can use rpmbuild --rebuild
somepackage.src.rpm or you can use rpm -ivh packagename.src.rpm , then
edit the .spec file so you can end up with a rpm file with some specific
options (like I used to do with the amanda packages , as it uses the
amanda user , but we had a real user called amanda.. so I had to rebuild
the rpms with the backup user...)..

If you dont like recompiling , then you'll only need the i386 cds..

--
Pedro Macedo