MP3s and Linux

PFJ paul at all-the-johnsons.co.uk
Mon Apr 5 08:28:46 UTC 2004

Hi Brittany,

> I didn't think i had Xmms so i went to the offical website and
> downloaded the latest version but I do not know how to install it and i
> went to http://fedora.artoo.net/faq/ and it didn't help me.

You do have it - on the gnome menu, it's listed as audio player. The
module IIRC is at www.xmms.org. The MP3 module can be found here

http://ftp.freshrpms.net/pub/freshrpms/redhat/9/xmms-mp3/

download the binary rpm, open a terminal window, su, rpm -ihv
xmms-mp3-1.2.7-21.p.fr1.i386.rpm and it'll install. Start the audio
player, go to the options, switch off the place holder mod, apply the
change, quit audio player and restart audio player. Jobs a goodun.

> Operating system used by Fedora Core release 1.90 (FC2 Test 1)

Update it!

> Linux 2.6.1-1.65

Definately update it!

> Emailer Ximian Evolution 1.5.3 (1.5.3-1)

Ditto again. 1.5.5-1 is much much much more stable

> Website: http://www.redhat.com/

http://fedora.redhat.com

TTFN

Paul
--
"Discovery is, in it's essence, a matter of re-arranging or transforming
evidence in such a way that one is enabled to go beyond the evidence so