Any plans for a font install tool?

Douglas Furlong douglas.furlong at firebox.com
Mon Apr 5 08:59:05 UTC 2004

On Sat, 2004-04-03 at 18:00, Joe(theWordy)Philbrook wrote:
> Hello, I'm very new to fedora, (just downloaded the 3 iso's today in fact)
> So please pardon my ignorance. But I have a couple of stupid questions...
>
>  1) About copying to ~/.fonts: What exactly do you copy to the dir? The
>     font files themselves? Will symbolic links to said files work? Or what?

I just copied the contents of my Fonts directory from windows in to the
above, and they all appeared on the next reboot. Wasn't sure what I
needed to do to get it working with out a reboot.

>  1b) Can I just copy trutype font files from my windows partition to ~/.fonts
>      to enable them for all my apps?

It will enable them for most of your apps, OpenOffice needs to be set up
separately. You can do this from the same place as where you set up the
printers, oopadmin

>  2) Isn't there a global place where root can put these to make them
>     accessible to all user accounts?

As Aaron stated you can place them in
"/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/TTF/". However I chose to place mine under
/usr/share/fonts in their own directory for clarity's sake.

Can any one think of a reason why this may not be advisable?

Doug