network newbie

jludwig wralphie at comcast.net
Tue Apr 6 01:26:02 UTC 2004

On Sun, 2004-04-04 at 14:33, Tom Weniger wrote:
> On Sat, 2004-04-03 at 17:01, jludwig wrote:
> > Setting up the network. I'll assume that you have never done this for
> > simplicity.
>
> > 9) There may need to be some more steps and I may well have messed
> > something so be patient.
>
> Greetings,
>
> I am looking forward to this help too.
> I have been trying to find a solution to setting up a simple network
> between a SMC router, DSL modem, a PC and a laptop without using the PC
> as a gateway/router. My current setup can ping the router, PC and laptop
> as well as have Internet access. How can I share files between them?
> Using ftp?
> --
> Virtually,
> Tom
First and foremost I know nothing about your SMC router. I suspect
though it does not have firewall capabilities.
Second I wouldn't use ftp on an open (to the internet) network, or you
may be sharing your files with more people than you would like,
especially being new to networking. More information would help.
--
jludwig <wralphie at comcast.net>