synaptic question

Panu Matilainen pmatilai at welho.com
Tue Apr 6 05:26:19 UTC 2004

On Tue, 2004-04-06 at 02:12, duncan brown wrote:
> from the sources.list man page (man sources.list)
>
>        file   The file scheme allows an arbitrary directory in the
> file system
>               to  be  considered an archive. This is useful for NFS
> mounts and
>               local mirrors or archives.
>
> first, create your own apt repository under let's say
> /var/apt_repository by following the directions in my apt walkthrough
> http://www.linuxadvocate.net/apt (pardon my site, it's utter crud)

Couple of things need to be straightened out in the instructions :)
1) *Always* run genbasedir with --bloat option for any RHL/FC based
distro, otherwise you'll start seeing odd breakage sooner or later
2) genbasedir already runs genpkglist, you should never directly invoke
genpkglist in fact.

> so, create a file in /etc/apt/sources.list.d/ called local.list with
> an entry like i mention in the walkthrough, only substitute 'rpm' with
> 'file', and have it point at your /var/apt_repository, or whever you
> have it.

Another option, which even avoids having to run genbasedir completely is
using the newish rpm-dir repository type. See
http://lwn.net/Articles/60650/ for example how to use that.

	- Panu -