Fedora mount a corrupted Win Fat32 (vfat) file system

James Ralston qralston+ml.redhat-fedora at andrew.cmu.edu
Tue Apr 6 07:52:34 UTC 2004

On 2004-04-05 at 12:05:18-0700 Guolin Cheng <guolin at alexa.com> wrote:
> I'm trying to recover data from a corrupted Win Fat32 file system
> using Fedora, with a command "mount -t vfat /dev/hda2 /mnt", but the
> operation fails.  I'm pretty sure it is a fat32 file system because
> "fdisk" proves a very honest gentleman :-), Now the problem is, How
> to recover data from a corrupted fat32 file system?

Have you tried running fsck?

    $ fsck.msdos -r -v -V /dev/hda2

Alternatively, if you trust Microsoft's tools more (fsck.msdos claims
that FAT32 support is still in alpha), follow the suggestion of making
a DOS boot floppy with CHKDISK on it, and use CHKDISK to check the
problematic drive letter.

--
James Ralston, Information Technology
Software Engineering Institute