Decent Open Source Service Monitor app

duncan brown duncanbrown at email.com
Tue Apr 6 15:13:12 UTC 2004

this still may be overkill, but nagios (http://www.nagios.org/ | was netsaint) comes highly recommended over big brother, from what i've heard.  when i worked in the isp space (lycos - matchmaker.com) we used nothing but big brother, the ease of customization (everything could be done with a bash script, no perl experience needed) was a great help.  we had it restart services if needed and alert on them.

just the initial setup was a nightmare, but it may have improved over the last 3 years.

-d