fedora core 1- upgrading kernel 2.4.22- 2.6.4

alan alan at clueserver.org
Tue Apr 6 17:48:46 UTC 2004

On Tue, 6 Apr 2004, Chadley Wilson wrote:

> On Tue, 2004-04-06 at 14:32, jsvesh at cashette.com wrote:
> > compiles find and everything but when i go to boot up it dumps the following errors:
> >
> > /etc/rc.d/rc.sysinit lines 34,38,39 /dev/tty1-8 permission denied
> > sshd:/sbin/ifup :config for sit 0 not found
> > ussage ifup <device number>
> > INIT: Id "1" respawning to fast: disabled for 5 minutes
> > INIT: Id "2" respawning to fast: disabled for 5 minutes
> > INIT: Id "3" respawning to fast: disabled for 5 minutes
> > INIT: Id "4" respawning to fast: disabled for 5 minutes
> > INIT: Id "5" respawning to fast: disabled for 5 minutes
> > INIT: Id "6" respawning to fast: disabled for 5 minutes
> >
> > and it hangs at the init error for more than 5 mins.
> on the topic of kernel 2.6.4 hasnt some already built an rpm to do the
> upgrade?

If someone is thinking of using the 2.6.x kernel on FC 1, you are better
off upgrading to FC 2 test 2.

I was able to get FC 1 working with 2.6.x, but there were a number of
oddities that hung about.  Test 2 fixed pretty much all of them.  (I have
not tested all of the problems i have had with the older version yet.)