Redhat Timeserver down? (Czornack)

jludwig wralphie at comcast.net
Wed Apr 7 01:06:13 UTC 2004

On Tue, 2004-04-06 at 18:56, Brian Bober wrote:
> Janthao wrote:
> > I'm not sure if this is a problem with my machine or with the
> > timeserver. Does anybody else have problems with clock.redhat.com?
> >
> Yes, I have that problem too, but only last couple days.

If I remember, the ntp README, ntp protocol allows for the server to
ignore requests when heavily loaded (drop packets, sound familiar?). In
which event your machine ntpd will time out and try later at random
intervals.
Also in heavy traffic, if the sample jitter your machine receives is
more than 128mS over three seconds, the samples are discarded.
See the ntp README also man 1 ntpd
--
jludwig <wralphie at comcast.net>