100Mbps Ethernet Speed/Efficiency

Ow Mun Heng ow.mun.heng at wdc.com
Wed Apr 7 08:38:08 UTC 2004

I always Gets mixed up.. :)

Okay.. I'm transferring the files using a dedicated 1-1 laptop to
desktop (linux -> windows) on a 100Mbps NIC.

I mount the share as a smbfs share and copy the files(120MB average
realmedia files)
 from linux to windows share

cp *.rm /mnt/desktop

I look at iftop..

I see 3 figures..
43.9Mb 46.2Mb 26.4Mb

(I take it that translate to 1bit=8bytes, 43.9Mbs/8=5.5MB/s??)

Using Gkrellm I see
transmit = 6.1M

SO.. I'm at a loss. What's the best method for measuring throughput?
I'm gonna try out the ttcp util mentioned by dalen. (but Until now, I've not

received a email response from them!!)

so... I'm at a loss.