Too many dependencies?

M. Fioretti m.fioretti at inwind.it
Wed Apr 7 20:40:39 UTC 2004

On Wed, Apr 07, 2004 20:59:34 PM +0100, Andy Green (fedora at warmcat.com) wrote:

> I see this the other way around... the increased modularity tends to
> drive out bugs in the parts that are getting reused from many
> directions.
[snip]

> I was looking through the source for CUPS and SWAT the other day
> trying to see what library they used for their local HTTP
> serving. To my surprise they both rolled their own different
> solutions right there in the sources.  Would have been better if
> they both used some kind of lightweight libhttp...

[snip]

> A new dependency would be no price at all to pay for the improved
> reusability and robustness.

And, in this case, I too would be glad to see it added. Because, in
this case, it would mean all the advantages you say *and* less total
disk space.

See? Another case of "careless packaging", as defined in my other mail
of course: not in the FC RPM, not a fault of FC packagers, not fixable
by them in any way, but careless all the same.

This is exactly the kind of problems which I hoped to make come out
with my message, thanks.

Next?

Ciao,
	Marco Fioretti

--
Marco Fioretti                 m.fioretti, at the server inwind.it

The worst thing one can do is not to try, to be aware of what one
wants and not give in to it, to spend years in silent hurt wondering
if something could have materialized -- and never knowing.  --
				     David Viscott