Some problems getting started

Satish Balay balay at fastmail.fm
Wed Apr 7 22:05:39 UTC 2004

On Wed, 7 Apr 2004, William Hooper wrote:

> Satish Balay said:

> > Not necessarily. You can:
> >
> >  - modify the source list - to modify yum behavior (if you don't want
> >    to work with certain repositories - like updates)
> >
> >  - use local/cache-only mode - where it doesn't try to sync to the
> >    latest .hdr database.
>
> So you agree that yum is better than r-c-p after packages have been upgraded?

I meant to convey yum is useable/reliable - before packages
have been updated as well - not limited to "after packages have been
upgraded". And I do prefer yum to r-c-p.

However the issue with using yum - is the initial database creation
[download of required .hdr files from all specified repositories].
Most folks are mistaking .hdr downloads as package downloads.

Satish