I want a website

Dov Zamir Linux at zamirfamily.com
Thu Apr 8 11:49:49 UTC 2004

On ה', 2004-04-08 at 02:34, SultanAn3 wrote:
> I created html webpages and I want a domain name.
> What is DNS;does it give me a domain name?
> Where to get a domain name;can I get on for free?

You got a lot of advise on getting a domain name, but no answer to your
first question.

DNS (Domain Name Service/System) is the program responsible, among other
things, for translating user friendly URL's to their proper IP
addresses. This allows normal humans to remember and use domain names in
places like browsers rather than remembering their IP addresses.

Most domain name registrars will also keep the domain name translation
for you, so that you won't need to set up DNS yourself.

BTW, if you found that the domain you want is available at one
registrar, it will be available everywhere else, too.

Dov Zamir